Thursday, April 17, 2014

Kids Art Quilt: Fabric Building Blocks




This quilt has been finished for a while but I was trying to find a hanging solution for my larger quilts to make photographing them a little easier. (I should of used more quilt hangers but I only had 3 picture hooks at this time.)

This was such a fun quilt to make. I loved that I didn't have to do any designing and my two girls laid it all out for me. To learn about how they designed this quilt you can read more here.



I quilted all the buildings with various straight lines in different directions.




I quilted the 'sky' or negative sky space at least in a pattern I thought might be original - but then I discovered the wonderful and very talented LuAnn Kessi.







The sun is pieced from lots of little bits of orange scraps.


My favorite bit of the quilt is the quilting showing the flight path of the airplane. 


The cars are lightly quilted and I tried to make different textures for the road surface. A miniature square stippling and an edge to edge free hand lines with some bumps & stones in places.



They have both had their birthdays recently and they are now 5 & 3. Do they realize what an amazing job they did with this design for their age? 


Here is my middle bunny looking like she is doing a very professional and through job of inspecting my tension.

I truly love this quilt.

**************

Our other kid painted fabric projects have included:
Kids Art Quilt - Spin Art (WIP)
Kids Art Quilt - Sharpie Art Quilt
Kids Art Quilt - Fabric Building Blocks

Technical Info:
Batting: Hobbs 100% Wool Heirloom Batting & Quilters Dream 100% Cotton Batting (together)
Backing Fabric: Climbing Vine 108" Sage
Top: Scraps from scrap bin & Essential Dotty Waves 108" Wide
Binding: Scraps from scrap bin
Thread: SoFine!#50 by Superior &; Fil-Tec Monofilament thread in bobbin

No comments: