Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Turn your Kids Art into Greeting Cards

I keep pretty much every piece of 'art' my little ones make. I was spring cleaning a little and going through all the kids art work trying to keep the most special pieces - as even by age 4 my drawers are overflowing with precious scribbles and blobs of paint.

I couldn't bring myself to throw away any of the art and this project has been in the back of my mind for a long long time.

This is an example of the sorts of pieces I have.




I cut it into 4" x 5.5" pieces. I used a rotary cutter & a ruler - but you could use scissors and cut the lines carefully. Once the pieces were cut I put them on a piece 5" x 6.5" of contact paper and then stuck it to a plain 5"x 6.5" card.

I think you could also cut interesting shapes or animals out also - but I stuck with the rectangles.


I got this pack of 50 plain cards from Michaels years ago. I still had 46 left.

 

Once the art work and contact paper had been added to these cards - they are surprisingly solid - and the contact paper adds a little bit of luxury to the cards. I think you could just use glue to stick the art to the cards - but I like the way the contact paper keeps the art nicely flat - no wrinkles.

Here is a sample of the 46 cards we made.


Our cards include crayon art, poster paint, watercolor, shaving foam paint, scrapper art ...


... water bead painting, rain art and finger painting!


I seriously LOVE them and I can't wait to put together little sets wrapped in ribbon and give them to Grandma for birthdays, mother's day and other such celebrations! 

4 comments:

Michele said...

I love this idea!!! I find my kids' artwork all around the house. :)

emd said...

This is Oma (Grandma), absolutely thrilled to perhaps be on the lucky receiving end of these gorgeous cards, made by the most artistic grandchildren in the whole world and their clever and super imaginative mother!

Oma

Unknown said...

Great ready Oma - they are coming your way for Easter, your Birthday, Mother's Day & Christmas.

Unknown said...

Michele - they are even more adorable in person. I'll probably even be saving bad scribbles in future!