Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Kids Painted Quilt: Watercolor Circles

If you remember this project came about as a suggestion from Asia from Fun at Home with Kids.  Asia's site is my go-to if I am ever looking for fun activity to do with my little bunnies.

This quilt is so pretty. These photos do not show what a wonderful job my eldest bunny did (not that I am biased!) The colors are all soft and sherberty. They did spread - they are not perfect circles - but I do not care.

I had so much fun quilting it with a sort of free form McTavishing style. Here it is coming off the frame.






It is the sort of quilt you would curl up under while watching TV or lie on in the garden on a sunny afternoon. 


 

I used quite a few different colors of thread to try and highlight & define the different color splotches. You can see here the colors go from purple to blue to pink to green.



It was really interesting to me to see how the colors of the fabric paint interacted with the different colored threads. I have much to learn & experiment with - in how colored thread can bring out color, change color or blend perfectly.



I wonder what project ideas will come to us next. 

Technical Info:
Batting: Hobbs Wool Heirloom Batting
Backing Fabric: Scrap White on White prints
Top: Blue Fabrics: Recycled Sheet
Binding: Premium Quilt Colorbok Fabric - Dot Floral
Thread: Aurifil Mako Quilting Cotton - Natural White, Selection of Bottom Line threads by Superior & Fil-Tec Monofilament thread in bobbin

2 comments:

Asia Citro said...

GORGEOUS!!!!!! Lovely job to both of you!!!!

Unknown said...

Thank you ;-) She is fearless when it comes to color & placement - which is kind of nice - as I over think things.