Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Coffee Filter Butterfly Tree

What we do with this branch we found in the garden never ceases to amaze me. In case you have missed the progression of our year long tree project check out the other trees we have made so far.

Swedish Easter Tree
Valentine Tree
Recycled Cherry Blossom Tree

This idea came to me as I was washing up looking out of the window and looking at butterflies flutter around the garden in the sunshine.


The colors in our butterfly tree are really amazing. 


As you can tell we made a lot of coffee filter butterflies for this tree (over 60!)

We decorated out coffee filters by various methods. The traditional markers & water, dipping the filters in liquid watercolors & glitter. 

 Folded & dipped in liquid water color. 

Water soluble markers & water. 

Dipping in liquid watercolors was by far the preferred method.


We had to hang washing lines all over the kitchen to dry all the filters. We also experimented about how we hung the filters to ensure we got lots of different results. 


Glitter glue added a magical sparkle and prevented the spread of the liquid water colors. Folding coffee filters and hanging them together or on top of each other gave different - but beautiful effects - colors leaking from all angles.


Even my 2 year old bunny enjoyed the activity.


Not very precise - although she really is trying - just look how carefully she is holding that filter. 


Our kitchen towels were soaked but ever so pretty once we had finished.


My eldest wanted to make butterflies with two filters at once. It was a genius idea - giving us some very large and full butterflies.


And we made some dragon flies too. 



You might be wondering what became of all those pretty tissue paper cherry blossoms. Well my girls loved gathering the 'fallen petals' and they are still playing with them. I'm thrilled - this tissue paper has had 3 uses so far - wrapping gifts to pretty tree blossoms to endless games of gathering, grouping and carrying around the pretty posies.


We left our little egg carton caterpillar on the tree - obviously one day he will turn into a butterfly too.


Happy butterfly spotting this summer!




***********

Please do not forget about the charity I Spy quilt - we are still looking for fabric 4"x4"scrap donations. 

2 comments:

Sue said...

I've liked all your tree variations but I think this is my favorite so far. These butterflies are beautiful. I'll check thru my fabrics but I don't know if I have any of the type you're looking for. I'll let you know.

Unknown said...

Thanks Sue - I always think of you when I pass the tree - which is strange as we have never met ;-)